Re-imaging the Book of Durrow: the opening double pages of Luke’s Gospel

By Warwick Raverty

Type: Painting

Technique: Gilded, Painted

Material: Acrylics, Metal, Paper, Watercolour

Width: 68cm | Height: 54cm

Production date: 2020

It is difficult for people in the 21st century, routinely surrounded by colours of every hue, to imagine how the sight of the Book of Durrow would have affected viewers in the late 600s AD. I have attempted to convey some of this wonder by recreating pages in watercolour and ink using modern lightfast organic pigments augmented with raised gesso and 24 carat gold leaf in the manner of later medieval illuminated manuscripts.

While this treatment may seem like heresy to some, I argue that my own experience when I first witnessed the transformation that the addition of polished gold brought to the designs was a valuable addition to my understanding of the experiences of 7th century and later early medieval viewers of these books. The addition of polished gold leaf not only adds the experience of ‘the Light of the World’ reflecting out of each page, but it also helps tie the designs more firmly to the Eastern manuscript traditions of Byzantine and Greek Orthodox religious art.

Report as Inappropriate

Have you been inspired?

Have you taken inspiration from this artwork for your own practice? If so, you can submit your own work here.

Upload your artwork here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.